Laptops & Chromebooks
For your convenience, the AOK Library and Department of Information Technology, have made available a number of laptop computers for current UMBC students, faculty and staff to borrow.
- Dell Latitudes, MacBook Pros, and some Chromebooks have a seven (7) day loan period and may be renewed up to four times if there are no pending requests.
- Renewals will be based upon availability.
- Laptop use is not transferable. Borrowers must maintain the laptop in their possession during the loan period.
- UMBC faculty, staff and students with a current UMBC ID may borrow any of the laptops.
- Patrons must be present to borrow the device.
- Laptops may not be renewed if other patrons are waiting to use one.
- Patrons are encouraged to join the wait list to use a laptop.
- The library may suspend borrowing privileges of patrons who habitually fail to use and or return laptops as directed.
- Laptops are not available for curbside pickup; they must be checked out and returned at the circulation desk during business hours.
- Patrons must return laptops to the attendant at the Circulation Desk. To avoid theft or damage to the device (and being responsible for both), do not place laptops in the unattended return bin.
- Equipment returned with missing accessories will not be checked in until all parts have been returned.
Wait List & Pick-up Information
Please use the catalog to place a hold request on the desired type of UMBC Laptop. You will be notified via email when one becomes available and provided with instructions for scheduling a Contactless Pickup.
- Requests are limited to one laptop at a time.
- Requests cannot be placed if you have a laptop on loan.
- Requests cannot be placed to receive the laptop at a specific time or on a specific date.
- Email messages are sent immediately when a device is available.
- The requestor must pick up the device within 2 business days or forfeit their place in the queue:
- Monday / Wednesday
- Tuesday / Thursday
- Wednesday / Friday
- Thursday / Saturday
- Friday / Sunday
- Saturday / Monday
- Sunday / Tuesday
Noncompliance will result in your request(s) being cancelled without notice.
Returning a laptop late denies others the use of the device; therefore, please be considerate and return or renew the laptop accordingly.
- Fees will be enforced for all eligible borrowers.
- Laptops are considered “LOST” after four days of being overdue and patrons are assessed a replacement fee for the device.
Patrons are responsible for any equipment that is lost, damaged, or stolen. Damages resulting from accident, misuse, or neglect are the patron’s responsibility.
- Laptops & Chromebooks: $1,900 replacement fee
- The replacement fee is credited if:
- the device is returned in good condition;
- the device is returned within 3 weeks of being overdue;
- the device has not been replaced by the library.
Using the Catalog
Current UMBC students, faculty, and staff are eligible to participate in the laptop lending program.
- On the library’s homepage, library.umbc.edu, enter the keywords “UMBC Laptop” in the search field;
- Select a computer by clicking on the title: MacBook, Dell, or Chromebook;
- Click “Show More” to see what is available;
- Use the request button to submit a reservation.
The “Show More” link displays the status of each item. Units marked as “on shelf” are available. Feel free to submit a request even if all devices are on loan, you will be added to the queue.